According to the U.S. Census, 20% of Americans over the age of 25 do not have a high school diploma. With unemployment on the rise, many adults have come to realize that getting their high school diploma can improve their employment prospects. However, many adults do not have the luxury to spend several hours a day in a traditional high school setting. Most adults have jobs, family, and very hectic lives. Night school programs solve this problem.
How Adult Night Schools Work
Night schools are designed to meet the needs of busy adult students looking to earn a high school diploma, without having to give up a full-time day job. Night school programs work just like traditional high schools, except that classes are held after work hours or on weekends instead of during the day. Students attend classes in physical classrooms. Teachers are available to give lectures and answer questions. Peers help each other, and make the program social and fun.
Night schools have their advantages and disadvantages over online high school programs, the other popular alternative that many adult students pursue. Below you will find a summary of the benefits and disadvantages of night schools for adult continuing education, to help you determine whether a night school program is right for you.
5 Advantages of Adult Night Schools over Online High Schools
1. Night schools are better for adults for whom the social aspects of being in school are important.
2. Night class programs are better suited for individuals who prefer constant academic support and teacher interaction.
3. The quality of instruction provided by night school programs is comparable to that of regular day class programs.
4. A night school diploma is more widely recognized, since there less fly-by-night night schools than online high school diploma mills.
5. Night schools offer class schedules that match the free time of adults. Classes are offered at night, and also on weekends.
5 Disadvantages of Night Schools over Online High Schools
1. Night school students do not have full autonomy over their schedules. Schedules are pre-determined at the start of every term.
2. Night school programs take longer to finish than online high school programs, since students are only studying part-time.
3. Night school students will be away from home for a long time if they work full time during the day and then go to school at night.
4. Going to night school after working the whole day can be very tiring and physically draining.
5. Depending on where you live, it may not be safe to commute or drive late at night every single day.
Choosing where to pursue your high school education is one of the most significant decisions you will ever make. Night schools may work well for some adults, but not for others, so take the time you need to understand your learning style and long-term goals in order to find the program that is right for you.